14 February 2012

14 Mindfulness Trainings

In preparing for naturopathic medical school interviews next week, I have been looking at many common interview questions. One was: name three people, dead or alive, that you would invite to dinner and why? This got me really thinking. I initially wanted to spend it with some family members, some dead and some in California, but then I thought about the actually opportunity this dinner would provide. I decided there were three people I was interested in meeting, each covering the training of my mind, body and spirit.
Mohatma Ghandi-famed social justice activist, Rodney Yee-my favorite yoga guru ;) and Thich Nhat Hanh- a buddhist monk famous for his spiritual guidance. I know these may sound like cliche choice, but I think it would be a life changing dinner! (Anyone else notice the Eastern connections??)
In that spirit I decided to take the next 14 days to practice Thich Nhat Hanh's trainings in mindfulness. Today:

Openness


Aware of the suffering created by fanaticism and intolerance, I am determined not to be idolatrous about or bound to any doctrine, theory or ideology, even Buddhist ones. Buddhist teachings are guiding means to help me learn to look deeply and to develop my understanding and compassion. They are not doctrines to fight, kill or die for.

No comments: